Our Progressive Values
'Holy Community' - is at the heart of Sinai Synagogue. Our vision is to be a thriving progressive Kehillah Kedosha founded on the values of:
- Tefillah - Prayer
- Limmud - Learning
- Tikkun Olam - Repair of the World
- Through the core values we will:
- encourage community building by being welcoming, empowering our members and ensuring they feel safe and valued. Through keruv (openness) we aspire to be a growing and inclusive community;
- recognise the individuality of our members and value the diverse community this creates;
- strive to be the voice of Reform Judaism in the many different communities of which we are part.
'Prayer' at Sinai helps people find a relevant environment for exploring their relationships with God and Judaism in today’s world by:
- connecting with our Jewish tradition and beliefs in a relevant and meaningful way
- creating an engaging space to mark Shabbat and other sacred times
- encouraging a personal and communal spiritual experience
- helping people to reflect on their lives and the world around them
- providing comfort to those seeking it.
'Learning' at Sinai is about providing the resources to make informed decisions through asking questions and searching for answers by:
- seeking the most engaging and inspiring learning resources for the community
- providing a frame of reference for living a progressive Jewish life
- enabling shared communal experiences
- studying heritage, tradition and stories
- providing learning resources accessible to all.
'Repair of the World' We recognise the need to take responsibility for the world as central to living a full Jewish life by:
- taking action to make a positive difference to society
- building a just society, community and world
- making our communities better places
- recognising we have a responsibility to speak out against injustice and to support those in need.